Adding a FreeBSD Gateway on a DSL/ ATM circuit

admin at hdk5.com admin at hdk5.com
Thu Aug 3 18:36:35 UTC 2006

Aloha,

My current problem is that I need to use a box as a FreeBSD 6.*
gateway/firewall to the internet protecting  an MS box that is in the
office for doing a lot of photo work and uploading to servers for the
company my wife works with. I was going to use a freesco (Linux)disk
/firewall/gateway/router like I have on my single dsl 1.5/384 line.
(This is currently what is protecting the MS box on this circuit.)

However, the freesco setup does not work as a gateway on the leg of the
ATM 5 IP circuit where we want to move the MS box to. I have tried to
get it setup and have emailed the freesco lists and apparently no one
has accomplished this.

I have now built a FreeBSD box with 2 nics to use as a
gateway/router/firewall between the single MS box and the internet. ed1
is on the 66.xxx.132.236 leg of the ATM. The defaultgateway on the
internet side of the ATM is 66.xxx.132.233.
The LAN side of the box ed0 is 192.168.1.1 to which the MS box is
directed.  ( I am using a test box 192.168.1.29 with FreeBSD 6* in place
of the MS box at this point.)

I can ping from the gateway box nic to the internet ok. I can ping from
the Test box to the Lan side of the gateway box OK. I cant reach the
internet thru the gateway. I have read probably 5 howtos from the
FreeBSD hand book and elsewhere and none are exactly what I am doing.

On FreeBSD Questions list recently there was a similar issue question
posted but no body answered the post.

It had to do with rc.conf

Listing both Nics  ifconfig_ed0 =66.xxx.132.236  netmask
255.255.255.248  #inet side
                                   ifconfig -ed1=192.168.1.1 netmask
255. 255.255.0           # lan side
                               and gateway_enable="YES" which I have done.

At this point I have not attempted a firewall PF or IPFW since I cant
reach the internet thru the gateway and I want to understand what is not
right with this setup first.

If I use: route add -net 192.168.1 .29    192.168.1.1

I can no longer ping the Lan side of the gateway from the test box.

Can you direct me to or give me a howto on setting this up so I can
reach the internet if indeed its possible using a gateway/firewall on
the leg of an ATM circuit? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii

- Admin -- http://hawaiidakine.com -- http://hdk5.com --
-- http://internetohana.org -- http://freeBSDinfo.org --
 + Supporting open source computing - FreeBSD 6.* +