no stable zsh available in ports

beno0028 at umn.edu beno0028 at umn.edu
Wed Aug 2 19:57:00 UTC 2006

On 29 August 2005 the port shells/zsh-devel was removed
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1078555+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2005/cvs-all/20050904.cvs-all).

Perhaps as a consequence, on 30 April 2006 the port shells/zsh was changed from
version 4.2.6 of the stable branch to version 4.3.2 of the zsh development
branch
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=551139+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2006/cvs-all/20060507.cvs-all).

After 3 months of struggling to use this new, relatively buggy version, I
finally have time to address what I see as a problem.  The solution, in my
opinion, is to reinstate the shells/zsh-devel port for the development branch
and have the stable branch, appropriate for unambitious end-users like me, on
shells/zsh.

Before bringing this up in my first-ever problem report, I wanted to do as the
article "Writing FreeBSD Problem Reports" recommends: "If your problem has not
been discussed on the lists, you might try posting a message about it and
waiting a few days to see if someone can spot something you have overlooked."

With thanks,
Scott Benolkin