Gotta start somewhere ... how many of us are really out there?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Aug 2 06:29:43 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton at gmail.com>
To: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at toybox.placo.com>
Cc: "Robert Huff" <roberthuff at rcn.com>; "Xiao-Yong Jin"
<xj2106 at columbia.edu>; <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>; "User Freebsd"
<freebsd at hub.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: Gotta start somewhere ... how many of us are really out there?

> On 8/1/06, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com> wrote:
> > Why not just add in the patch in kern/65627 and run the CPU serial
number
> > through
> > your hash?
>
> Because you can still fake the dam thing,

Why fake it when you can merely not supply it in the first place?

There are valid uses for unique host ID's other than this marketing
reporting scheme.  I was merely pointing out to the OP that it is
not particularly difficult (as he was arguing) to get unique ID's out
of a FreeBSD system, I was not commenting on the scheme he
wanted them for.

Ted