watchdog question.

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Wed Aug 2 00:00:44 UTC 2006

RW <list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 August 2006 20:39, Efren Bravo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've a freeBSD box and I've been seeing this
> > message for several months: sis0 watchdog
> > timeout.
> >
> > The box has two ethernet cards, sis0 (100mb) and
> > vr0 (10mb).
> >
> > The messages isn't frequent but yesterday it got
> > my attention. What does this mean?
>
> from  sis(4)
>      sis%d: watchdog timeout  The device has stopped responding to the net-
>      work, or there is a problem with the network connection (e.g. a cable
>      fault).

I've seen this frequently with sis cards.  My opinion is that all sis
cards are cheapo crap, and watchdog timer is a workaround to try to make
them work in spite of being crap.  I've seen sis cards in Windows machines
and they perform lousy there as well.

But I'm no expert ... I could be wrong.

--
Bill Moran

MAL: Hell, this job I would pull for free.
ZOE: Can I have your share?
MAL: No.
ZOE: If you die, can I have your share?
MAL: Yes.