watchdog question.

Girish Venkatachalam girish1729 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 22:26:11 UTC 2006

--- Efren Bravo <efrenba at yahoo.es> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've a freeBSD box and I've been seeing this
> message for several months: sis0 watchdog
> timeout.
>
> The box has two ethernet cards, sis0 (100mb) and
> vr0 (10mb).
>
> The messages isn't frequent but yesterday it got
> my attention. What does this mean?
I am afraid you aren't gonna like this. AFAIK watchdog
is some kind of a heartbeat monitoring done at the
hardware level just to make sure that ur hardware is
fine. So the watchdog has a timer that will expire in
case the hardware does not send this heartbeat every
few seconds or so.

So it is not good news if your ethernet cards report
that since it normally means the hardware is
defective; however since everything else works for you
it may be time to change your card yet.

I hope I am wrong. Can someone correct me?

Best,
Girish

http://www.bluesecurity.com/register/s?user=ZWZyZW5iYQ%3D%3D