best way to copy from one fbsd box to another

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Tue Aug 1 18:31:35 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 14:04, Bill Moran wrote:
> > I am installing a new server and have to copy many files from old server
> > to new. I have connected a windows box to each via samba, and am dragging
> > from one to the other via the windows box.
> >
> > This might seem like a silly question, but what is the way to copy
> > -directly- from one fbsd box to another?
>
> Usually NFS or scp.  There are other choices, though.

For many situations my favorite is tar+netcat (w/ optional bzip2 compression).

On the destination host:
	cd /some/path
	nc -l 1234 | tar -xjvf -

And on the source host:
	cd /some/path
	tar -cjvf - relative/path/to/source/dir | nc destip 1234

If you don't want compression leave out the 'j' flag in both calls to tar.

scp is your best bet if you need encryption though (take note of the -r and -C
flags).

JN