Gotta start somewhere ... how many of us are really out there?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Aug 1 16:27:58 UTC 2006

User Freebsd wrote:

> Actually, using ifconfig wouldn't work ... it would give unique, but
> as soon as you add another IP (ie. alias), the ID would change ...
> you'd need to do something like:
>
> ifconfig | grep ether | sha256 | md5
>
> since the 'ether' would never change ...

I think you'd want

ifconfig | grep ether | head -1 | sha256 | md5

otherwise you are reliant on *none* of the ethernet cards changing
rather than just the first not changing.

Also s/never/rarely/.  I don't change my ethernet cards every day, but
every once in a while it will happen.  But I would have said that was
good enough.

--Alex