Antivirus to scan files before going onto a Windows machine: clamav?

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Sat Apr 29 17:40:13 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 10:12:02AM -0400, wmc20 at xxiii.com wrote:
> At 09:25 AM 4/29/2006, Jim Stapleton wrote:
> >Virii would be the correct spelling we biologists use, but viruses
> >is standard in normal-people-speak, and gets the meaing across.
>
> Actually I was reading up on correct vs. common plurals after a
> little debate around the office.  It would appear the 'ii plural or
> virus is NOT correct.  See:
>
> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html
> http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/g63.html

I think virus is a second declension masculine noun, so its nominative
plural would be 'viri', but a plural form is not known from the extant
cannon of Classical Latin.  A complication would be that 'viri' is
already known as the nominative plural of 'vir' (man), also of the
second declension (I believe - my Latin was never up to much anyway, and
what with no Cardinals or Popes to practise conversational Latin, I have
forgotten most of it!).  Which is why the other form 'virii' is
occasionally seen, but again without precedent from Classical Latin, and
with no attestation in any dictionary.

This article at Wikipedia is pretty informative, if you like that kind
of thing!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_of_virus

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: D349 B109 0EB8 2554 4D75  B79A 8B17 F97C 1622 166A
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \