Antivirus to scan files before going onto a Windows machine: clamav?

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Sat Apr 29 13:12:55 UTC 2006

On Saturday 29 April 2006 09:06, Jim Stapleton wrote:
> Anyone have experience with ClamAV? Good, Bad, Ugly?
>
> Should I use something else, or is the only good alternative
> pay/expensive (such as avast)?
> Am I better at leaving the antivirus stuff to the Windows machine
> (which has McAfee Enterprise)?

I use ClamAV to scan all incoming e-mail on my mailserver with very good
results.  I haven't ever used it as a file-scanner but I imagine it would
serve adequately.

I frequently use AVG antivirus as well.  Their "free" edition is free to
download and use at home on a single computer.  See http://free.grisoft.com
for more info.  The non-free versions are more reasonably priced and (IMO)
in some ways superior to the other Windows AV products I've used, most
notably in ease-of-use and staying up-to-date.

JN