procmail and sendmail

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Apr 28 17:34:52 UTC 2006

On 2006-04-28 19:22, Efren Bravo <efrenba at yahoo.es> wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > If not, you need to do that, and add your local system-wide procmail
> > options or filters to `/usr/local/etc/procmailrc'.
>
> After installed the procmail, where can I find the procmailrc file
> because it's not into /usr/local/etc/ path ?

Nowhere, you create one yourself.  Very very carefully, because these
rules will be applied to *all* incoming local email.

The manpage of procmail(1) explains where Procmail will look for
filtering rules:

    If  no rcfiles and no -p have been specified on the command line,
    procmail will, prior to reading $HOME/.procmailrc, interpret
    commands from /usr/local/etc/procmailrc (if present).  Care must be
    taken when creating /usr/local/etc/procmailrc, because,  if
    circumstances permit,  it will  be  executed  with  root privileges
    (contrary to the $HOME/.procmailrc file of course).

For example, in your system-wide `procmailrc' file you can use rules
like the following:

    MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
    DEFAULT=$HOME/Mailbox
    LOGABSTRACT=no
    LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log

    :0 H
    spam/.

    :0 H
    * ^Subject: {Spam not delivered}
    spam/.

    :0 H
    * ^Subject: {Possible Spam}
    spam/.

The "/." suffix of the folder names means they are MH-style mail
folders.  You can also use a plain "/" suffix for Maildir folders,
or no suffix at all for plain Unix mbox-style files.