scripting languages...

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Thu Apr 27 22:34:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 10:21:53AM +0100, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >	I am NOT trying to start any kind of flame debate, but would
> >	like to know what real advantage perl has over the newer
> >	so-called all-in-one language, ch.   (Other than the obvious
> >	fact that there are literally billions of lines of perl existant.)
> >

> I don't  know ch from Adam so can't comment on that but really, the
> questions what are you trying to do?  Is this for a pet programming
> project?  For work?  Maintained just by you?  By others?  What's your
> programming experience?

	These days most of what I do is by/for me only.  Altho
	lots of times what I thought was throw-away code (/bin/sh,
	perl, C/C++) will have a snippet that's useful.  So I'll
	save it in my Prefab directory.

	ch is new, < 5 years (?).  Most of my hacking these days
	involves tools to help me put up book-lngth stuff on the
	web.  I've got a program, atom (ASCII-to-Markup) that I've
	working on since '94.  Originally for TeX, now HTML.
	atom only does a few things, but well.  Since I started
	making available **old** books (pre-1923), I needed
	a means of <CENTER>ing and <A HREF="p347">347</A> page number
	and page HEADER (and more).  A short C program did the trick.
	I used perl for other substitutions.

	Somebody in the UK turned the perl regex stuff into a ch
	library.  IMHO, nobody can touch perl's regex ... so it
	would be nice to have in the C world.  There are other
	perl features that would serve if they were backported,
	too.  ....

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix