scripting languages...

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Thu Apr 27 21:49:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 06:10:43AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2006-04-26 19:41, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi People,
> > I am NOT trying to start any kind of flame debate, but would
> > like to know what real advantage perl has over the newer
> > so-called all-in-one language, ch.   (Other than the obvious
> > fact that there are literally billions of lines of perl existant.)
>
> Don't you really mean ``C#'' by writing ``ch''?

	The only thing I recall reading about C# is that it was
	a DOS/Win C++ ish language.  ch is a C/C++ scripting language
	that is like /bin/sh only with C syntax.    Some C wizards
	created a perl regex library for ch; thus my question.

	I like the C  "main(int argc, char *argv[])" intro or
	starting-point.  main() has to be there in C. Given argc
	and argv, I can hack away freely.  /bin/sh, /bin/csh,
	and perl's lack if arg[cv] means that I have to think about
	how-to grab the arguments to a binary. Script ot ./a.out.

> Perl seems ubiquitous these days.  Every operating system I regularly
> have to use (Linux, BSD or Solaris, in my case) has a Perl
> implementation that works the same way 90% of the time.  When it
> doesn't, there's almost certainly a CPAN module that does the trick.
>
>     $ uname -v
>     FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Apr 20 06:26:59 EEST 2006     \

	[ ... ]

>     Linux XXXX 2.6.10 #1 Thu Dec 30 03:01:16 EET 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
>     $ perl --version | grep '^This'
>     This is perl, v5.8.8 built for i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi

	You're a brave man, messing with 7-current!!

	The fact that perl is everywhere is in its favor; perl
	gurus can deal with argc/argv in their *sleep*.  I can't;
	but it might interest you that many years ago I ported
	perl from the Sun-3 to an IBM AIX 3090 (with all 6 CPU's).
	Worked fine.  ...Still. for thinks of any complexity,
	I'll grab one of my prefab C skeletons and hack away.

> The biggest advantage of Perl for me right now is that ``A Fairly Modern
> Version is Just There(TM)'', wherever I have to work :)

	Makes sense.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix