Purchasing the correct hardware: dual-core intel? Big cache?

Martin Hepworth maxsec at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 07:10:35 UTC 2006

Bill

start with looking the DB design - I;ve had batch runs go from 5 days down
to 1/2 day purely by tuning the SQL. I'm not kidding, all the  DB tuning
quides say look at the SQL/design first, then look at hardware like
disk/data layout, then finally the CPU.

There's lots of info about tuning on Postgress, use this, you'll get more
out of the app this way than spending money chucking hardware at it.

--
martin