freeBSD install

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Apr 25 14:58:45 UTC 2006

> I have a sony vaio fs742/w  running windows XP is this freeBSD a good
> candidate for my laptop and if it is, can i have someone load for me?
> I'd be more apt to trying on my home computer first, its an older model HP.

I have not used that particular model, but have used FreeBSD on
a number of other machine models.   Unless there is something
particularly odd about that model, it should work fine.

But, although you can probably find someone willing to install FreeBSD
for you, the very best way to learn about it is to just do it yourself.
If you have a home machine to experiment with, that makes it easier.

FreeBSD is a very different system that anything from Microsloth.
It can do pretty much anything you want, but it will take a while
to learn.   There are many more choices to be made.   FreeBSD is
limited to doing work for you and does not do your thinking for
you.    You are left free to do your own thinking.   That attitude
is fundamental to the design and implementation of FreeBSD.  It
is a little harder to learn in the beginning but much more powerful
and flexible and useful after you get it going.

My suggestion is that you might want to experiment with the home
machine, either making FreeBSD the only OS on the machine or making
it dual boot with XP.   Then try installing it on your laptop as
a dual boot.

////jerry