LDAP schema problems

Joerg Pulz Joerg.Pulz at frm2.tum.de
Mon Apr 24 18:19:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Erik Norgaard wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am writing here because OpenLDAP doesn't seem to have a list for user
> questions.
>
> I am building an address book, suffix "dc=domain, dc=tld". I have two
> problems:
>
> a) To get attributes such as "mail" I use the inetOrgPerson object
> class. Further, since my contacts are personal contacts and not business
> I wanted to use the residentialPerson object class to get postal address
> attributes.
>
> It seems that the only difference from the organizationalPerson object
> class is that "l" is required parameter, but, I get this error:
>
> ldap_add: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
>        additional info: no structuralObjectClass operational attribute
>
> for this entry:
>
> dn: cn=First Lastname, ou=people, dc=domain, dc=tld
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: residentialPerson
> objectClass: inetOrgPerson
> cn: First Lastname
> sn: Lastname
> l: somewhere
>
> While if I change residentialPerson to organizationalPerson, I get no
> error. I have found that I can add the residentialPerson if I remove
> inetOrgPerson objectClass.
>
> What causes the conflict?
>
> b) In their infinite wisdom, those who defined the person and derivative
> object classes did not add country to the list of possible attributes.
> Adding this object class to the otherwise working entry:
>
> dn: cn=First Lastname, ou=people, dc=domain, dc=tld
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: organizationalPerson
> objectClass: inetOrgPerson
> objectClass: country
> cn: First Lastname
> sn: Lastname
> l: somewhere
> c: XX
>
> I again get the error:
>
> ldap_add: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
>        additional info: no structuralObjectClass operational attribute
>
> I'd prefer not to go through the pain of defining my own schema from
> scratch, obtain OID etc just for adding such a basic attribute, what is
> the recommended "patch"?

Erik,

please try this:

dn: cn=First Lastname, ou=people, dc=domain, dc=tld
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
cn: First Lastname
givenName: First
sn: Lastname
postalAddress: some_address
postalCode: 12345
street: some_street
st: some_state
telephoneNumber: 01232234
mobile: 0042750
facsimileTelephoneNumber: 12470512
pager: 38979
homePhone: 07520326
homePostalAddress: some_address
mail: mail at domain.tld

Do you need more?

regards
Joerg

- --
The beginning is the most important part of the work.
 				-Plato