Upgrade path from 4.7 STABLE to 4.11 or 5.4

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Sun Apr 23 13:51:05 UTC 2006

I would go right to 4.11 using cvsup.

If you want to go from 4.11 to 5.4, you may be better off taking the drive
and doing a binary upgrade, as anything that may go wrong may require you
to be at the console.  I recently cvsup'd a server from 4.11 to 5.4 and it
went ok, but I did need to access the console during the process.

If you end up doing the upgrade to 5.4, you may as well go to 6.0 while you
are at it.

         -Derek

At 08:25 AM 4/23/2006, Andreas Wideroe Andersen wrote:
>Hi all,
>I have a 4.7 STABLE (production) server and I need to upgrade it to
>atleast 4.11 STABLE. What would be the best upgrade path inorder to
>minimize any problems? The server is located in a co-location 5 hours
>drive from where I'm so a network upgrade without problems would be
>perfect. :-)
>
>Should I just run a cvsup with RELENG 4_11 and upgrade src/ports, compile
>a new kernel and make world or should I go through the varous versions up
>to 4.11 step by step?
>
>Also, are there any imidiate problems upgrading 4.11 to 5.4?
>
>Thanks for your help!
>
>Best regards,
>Andreas W. Andersen
>

>---