Putting /tmp on a separate volume?

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Sat Apr 22 11:56:02 UTC 2006

On Saturday 22 April 2006 10:31, Oliver Iberien wrote:
> I followed the automatic suggestions for slices at install time and now
> have a /tmp folder of 500M. This fills up at odd times and I was hoping to
> install a second drive and mount a section of it as /tmp.
>
> So far I managed to get a second drive partitioned. I replaced the slice
> in /etc/fstab for /tmp with one of the new partitions (in this case,
> ad1s1c). KDE would not start because it did not have the permissions for
> /tmp any more, so I put the following entries in /etc/devfs.conf:
>
> own    /dev/ad1s1c     root:wheel
> perm   /dev/ad1s1c     0777
> own    /tmp            root:wheel
> perm   /tmp            0777
>
> That didn't work. I initially tried with 0666 but that failed as well. The
> 0777 did not seem like a good long-term solution anyway.

01777

But before you do that try setting

    clear_tmp_enable="YES"  in /etc/rc.conf

and

   daily_clean_tmps_enable="YES" in /etc/periodic.conf

My /tmp typically has < 1MB  in it.

There are a few programs that need huge amounts of tmp space, but IMHO it's
better to configure them to use somewhere else, rather than assign a large
amount of space to /tmp