KDE + GNOME?

pete wright nomadlogic at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 21:26:17 UTC 2006

On 4/19/06, Duane Whitty <duane at greenmeadow.ca> wrote:
> Duane Whitty wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'm contemplating installing GNOME .  I am currently
> > using KDE.  Does anyone know of any issues I should
> > be aware of before I proceed.  I'm mostly concerned
> > about dependency issues, especially wtih respect to the
> > xorg clients and firefox.
> >
> > Essentially I would like to be able to choose which
> > environment I am going to run on a per-session basis.
> > Any hints, pointer, RTFMs, would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Duane Whitty
> Perhaps I should be more clear.  Is there anyone reading
> who currently has KDE 3.5.x and GNOME 2.12.x installed
> concurrently on their systems?  Did you experience installation
> problems with respect to dependencies?   Are you able to choose
> between running KDE and GNOME as simply as by running
> startkde or startgnome (or whatever the start gnome command is)?

I have this same setup (plus xfce4/fvwm2) and have no problems.  Been
doing it for a while via both ports and packages and they work like a
charm.  i'd suggest using packages, unless you have time to build
everything from scratch.  so yea, i can happily report no issues going
this route.

-pete

--
~~o0OO0o~~