KDE + GNOME?

David J Brooks daeg at houston.rr.com
Wed Apr 19 20:30:23 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 13:34, Duane Whitty wrote:

> Perhaps I should be more clear.  Is there anyone reading
> who currently has KDE 3.5.x and GNOME 2.12.x installed
> concurrently on their systems?  Did you experience installation
> problems with respect to dependencies?   Are you able to choose
> between running KDE and GNOME as simply as by running
> startkde or startgnome (or whatever the start gnome command is)?
>
> I like KDE and some of its applications and I don't necessarily wish
> to switch to using something else exclusively.  I have many good
> things about GNOME and would like to try it out.  I want to be able
> to switch back-and-forth whenever I want.  Has anyone else tried this?
>
> Thanks for your responses.

I have both Kde 3.5.2 and Gnome 2.12 installed. I don't actually use gnome,
but I need several parts of it as dependencies for other packages that I do
run, and having enough drive space to do so, I just keep the whole thing up
to date. Both run without any problems.

FWIW, I have the opposite opinion from Paul on which is prettier. I think Kde
is much more attractive than the rather spartan Gnome environment.

David
--
Sure God created the world in only six days,
but He didn't have an established user-base.