6.0 and fsck_snapshot

patrick gibblertron at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 20:04:02 UTC 2006

I rebooted out FreeBSD 6.0 server today. I noticed that it froze
during the shutdown, so I had to do a hard reset. After it reboot, I
did an ls on one of our filesystems (250GB SATA drive). Instead of all
of the files that would normally be there, all there was was a .snap
folder. When I did an ls in there, the process hung. I rebooted once
again, and I can get into the .snap folder just fine. Except that all
of my files are still missing, and instead it appears I have one big
fsck_snapshot file.

Is there any way I can recover from this and restore my files? Looking
through my logs, I see a couple errors just before I did the initial
reboot:

Apr 19 12:12:29 pompom kernel: g_vfs_done():ad8s1d[READ(offset=114688,
length=16384)]error = 6
Apr 19 12:12:29 pompom kernel: g_vfs_done():ad8s1d[READ(offset=114688,
length=16384)]error = 6

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick