changing a nic's mac address, freebsd6

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Wed Apr 19 13:06:49 UTC 2006

"Dave" <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com> wrote:

>     I've got an rl0 nic on a freebsd6 machine that i need to change
> it's mac address on a tempoary basis. I will want to change it back
> when my testing is complete. I read this was feasible with opbnbsd,
> and was wondering if the capability was available in fbsd6? Also,
> does it matter which tempoary mac address i give the card?

You can use "ifconfig rl0 ether $NEWMAC" to change the mac address,
ether has been around for a while and doesn't require FreeBSD 6.x.

You're free to choose any address you like, but most of the time
taking a free one (not already taken in your network) makes sense.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/