mouse scroll up problem

applecom at inbox.ru applecom at inbox.ru
Tue Apr 18 23:23:33 UTC 2006

>>> I have changed settings as Pete advised. Both variants (old and new)
>>> are working (scrolling) but described effect remains.
>>> Why I think that scrolling up works as "scroll + left click": for
>>> example, in Opera scrolling up at the top of document (when real
>>> scroll is impossible) result in marking the word under cursor and
>>> appearing context menu for very short time.
>>
>> I've been having the same problem since updating to Xorg 6.9.0 two
>> months ago. Before that, this problem did not exist for me. Here are a
>> couple examples of what I see with use:
>>
> I know it's only a workaround and not a solution, but at least until
> you're able to get the rodent behaving the way you like, you can change
> the setting in Thunderbird preferences.
>
> In v1.5:
> Edit --> Preferences --> Advanced
> [Check box]  Wait XX seconds before marking a message as read
> (2nd item down)

Effect disappears when mouse is plugged to USB port directly, without
adapter. Besides that with ums(4) buttons 6 and 7 works although it has
the same affect as button 1.
But there is no ability to power off USB port at the moment it seems
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2005-December/001756.html).
PS/2 advantage: 'killall moused' results in turning mouse off, for USB
it doesn't.