wrired-wireless if_bridge question

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Tue Apr 18 21:27:26 UTC 2006

On 18 Apr Fabian Keil wrote:
> dick hoogendijk <dick at nagual.st> wrote:
> > After adding the WiFi card this whould be:
> > defaultrouter="82.74.2.1"
> > hostname="lothlorien.nagual.st"
> > ifconfig_rl0="inet 82.74.2.186 netmask 255.255.254.0"
> > ifconfig_rl1="inet 192.168.11.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> > ifconfig_ath0="ssid airport01 media autoselect mode 11g mediaopt \
> > 	hostap wepmode on wepkey `cat /etc/wepkey` channel 1 up"
> > cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
> > ifconfig_bridge0="addm ath0 addm rl1 up"
>
> You didn't specify the default wepkey, but the syntax looks
> OK to me.

> BTW don't bridge your wireless and wired networks if you don't have to.
> If your only goal is to get internet access for your wireless clients,
> it's probably safer to just add another NAT zone.

Sounds like wise advice, but how do I go about this? "Just add another
NAT", sound simple enough, but how do I do that?

I guess safer means there will be no access to my wired network (LAN) if I
add another NAT zone? Help would be much appreciated ;-)

One other thing: if I (still) decide (in the future) to clone, would I
clone the internal Ethernet card or the one attached to my ISP?

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 6.0 +++ The Power to Serve