SATA controller - Adaptec 1210SA on 6.0/6.1RC

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Tue Apr 18 15:37:43 UTC 2006

Hi list,

I'm having problems with the following setup:

Abit KT7A-RAID
Adaptec 1210SA in 3rd slot and 2xWestern Digitial 200GB drives
Intel 10/100/1000 in 2nd slot
AGP card (some generic GeForce)
Samsung 80GB connected to first IDE controller
CD-ROM connected to second IDE controller

In essence, any operation that touches the drives connected to the
1210SA controller hang machine in place (after about 3 or 4 seconds),
and only message I was able to see before it was 'ata2 request
DISCONNECT' (disks are visible as ad4 and ad6).

Of course any disk operations involving the IDE drive are OK, I tested
some file transfers and they were able to keep 20MB/s rate without
a problem.

I consulted the BIOS settings page of the motherboard manual and
set up everything so IRQs would not collide - so that's why NIC and
the Adaptec PCI card are on 2nd and 3rd slot (I have to use USB on
this PC and don't have any PCI graphics card, so essentialy, there is
no other option). 'vmstat' shows every device on it's own interrupt.
Hangs happen with and without ACPI loaded during boot.

I saw some discussions about how crappy Si3112 and low-end Adaptec
controllers are, but is there any way to have it running stable on
6.0/6.1RC machine?

--
"Confidence is what you have before you    |            Łukasz Bromirski
  understand the problem." -- Woody Allen   |        lukasz:bromirski,net