Several questions

albi albi at scii.nl
Tue Apr 18 15:25:12 UTC 2006

Rhys Sage wrote:

> 1. Will FreeBSD run on my Compaq Presario V2570NR

yes, probably

> (Athlon 64, 512mb DDR, WIFI and several interesting
> desktop buttons by Compaq)?

the desktop buttons have to be done after the install by yourself, and
perhaps the onboard wifi-card is not supported

> 2. Does FreeBSD come with a GUI or is it compatible
> with the Athene GUI?

FreeBSD comes with Xorg

> 3. Is there any software for FreeBSD that will read
> Canon CR2 files from my Canon XT?
>
> 4. Is it possible to run Mac OSX software on FreeBSD?

yes and no, there's qemu which you can try, YMMV

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU

> My questions are because I want to transfer from
> Windows XP and to maintain my OpenOffice,
> PhotoProcessing and internet capabilities, while not
> using a virus magnet like Windows. (also keeps my 8
> year old from trying to load CDs of games behind my back.

i would suggest to start with a dual-boot, re-partitioning can easily be
done with gparted :

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

gparted is an open-source equivalent to the commercial closed-source
partition-magic

--
grtjs, albi
gpg-key: lynx -dump http://scii.nl/~albi/gpg.asc | gpg --import