IPFW Problems?

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Tue Apr 18 09:29:09 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Tod McQuillin wrote:
>> Add:
>>
>> options IPFW2
>>
>> ...to your kernel config file and rebuild the kernel (and world also,
>> probably).
>
> Yes, you need to rebuild the userland too, which means you also need
> IPFW2=true in /etc/make.conf before you build world.

  It's absolutely necessary, after installation of the new kernel with
'options IPFW2', to add 'IPFW2=true' in /etc/make.conf and rebuild+reinstall
_at least_ /sbin/ipfw, then /usr/lib/libalias.* and /sbin/natd (which depends
on libalias), e.g.

cd /usr/src/sbin/ipfw
make obj && make depend all install
cd /usr/src/lib/libalias
make obj && make depend all install
cd /usr/src/sbin/natd
make obj && make depend all install

(note that natd doesn't depend on IPFW2, but links against libalias which
does, so sequence libalias -> natd is critical).

   I haven't found other parts of base OS in RELENG_4 which depend on IPFW2,
though I can miss something. Also every custom utility which utilizes
<netinet/ip_fw.h> must also be recompiled with IPFW2 defined and rebuilt
(and those using libalias must be rebuilt).

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua