IPFW Problems

Noah Silverman noah at allresearch.com
Mon Apr 17 21:29:28 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a system with a 4.11 Kernel.  Unless I'm doing something very
wrong, there seems to be something odd with ipfw.

Take the following rules:

ipfw add 00280 allow tcp from any to any 22 out via bge0 setup keep-
state
ipfw add 00299 deny log all from any to any out via bge0
ipfw add 0430 allow log tcp from any to me 22 in via bge0 setup limit
src-addr 2
ipfw add 00499 deny log all from any to any in via bge0

In theory, this should allow in SSH and nothing else.

When I install this firewall configuration, I'm locked out of the
box.  An inspection of the logs shows that rule 499 is being
triggered by an attempted incoming connection.

Can anybody help?

Also, would it be better to upgrade to ipfw2??  If so, how do I do that?

Thanks,

-N