mouse scroll up problem

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Mon Apr 17 17:37:27 UTC 2006

applecom at inbox.ru wrote:
>>> I have FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE and optical Microsoft IntelliMouse
>>> Explorer, USB native, plugged to PS/2 port via it's own USB->PS/2
>>> adaptor.
>>> When I scroll my mouse wheel up in X11 it acts like "scroll up + left
>>> button one/double-click". For example, in Opera, Firefox. In MS
>>> Windows mouse works correctly.
>>
>> I am running the same mouse in the same way on the same release. Here
>> is what is working for me:
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>>         Driver      "mouse"
>>         Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>>         Option      "Protocol" "sysmouse"
>>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>> EndSection
>>
>> moused_enable="YES"             # don't use type "auto" with KVM
>> moused_nondefault_enable="NO"
>> moused_type="ps/2 -l 2"         # -l 2 for scroll (fails in _flags)
>> moused_flags=""
>
> I have changed settings as Pete advised. Both variants (old and new) are
> working (scrolling) but described effect remains.
> Why I think that scrolling up works as "scroll + left click": for
> example, in Opera scrolling up at the top of document (when real scroll
> is impossible) result in marking the word under cursor and appearing
> context menu for very short time.

I've been having the same problem since updating to Xorg 6.9.0 two
months ago. Before that, this problem did not exist for me. Here are a
couple examples of what I see with use:

1) I'm going through my inbox in Thunderbird and I start scrolling up
using the wheel to see messages. In addition to going up the list, it's
also selecting all the emails that my mouse pointer happens to touch
when I move the wheel up. This isn't good because then it marks lots of
messages as "read" when I really did not read them.

2) I'm in Firefox viewing a website. I take my mouse pointer and hover
over a link or a bookmark on my bookmarks bar. I keep the mouse over it
and roll the wheel up once. It selects that link or button and goes to
it as if I had left clicked on it.

Unfortunately I have not found a solution, but this is my configuration
that was working for months up until upgrading to Xorg 6.9.0 (and is
what I still have now):

----------------
Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "auto"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
         Option "Buttons" "5"
         Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
----------------

No flags for moused are in rc.conf. My mouse is a Microsoft Intellimouse
Optical. Like yours, it is also hooked up through a USB to PS/2 adapter.

-Mark
FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE [amd64]

--
GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc

Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com
Rock 101.9 The Edge (Rock) - http://www.rock1019.net

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)