/tmp question

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Apr 17 13:10:22 UTC 2006

> I think I may have a lost a file.  I placed it in /tmp and rebooted
> the server. Now it is no longer there. Is the file recoverable at
> all???

The chances are very slim.   Only if the space has not been
written over, which, in /tmp, is probably that it has, and
then only a small chance of recovery.

I think there are some tools that attempt to do that sort of
thing, probably in ports.   I haven't heard of much success
with them and have never used one.   They might work on a file
system that has been quiescent since the file was deleted.  They
work by trying to fix up pointers that have been de-linked but
since /tmp is used as scratch space and its space gets reused a
lot, those pointers have probably been overwritten by now.

There are companies that specialize in recovering data, but
they are expensive.

////jerry