FreeBSD-4.11 and 4GB RAM

Beech Rintoul beech at mangohealth.org
Sun Apr 16 20:40:49 UTC 2006

On Sunday 16 April 2006 11:18, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> On my brand new Dell PowerEdge, now running FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE under
> test, there is 4GB RAM, but looking at dmesg.boot, this is what shows:
>
> real memory 268173312 (261888K bytes)
> available memory 255455235 (249468K bytes)
>
> This is 2GB RAM only showing, with kernel.GENERIC.
>
> There must be something I need to compile in the kernel so as to access
> more than 2GB RAM.
>
> I have compiled "options PAE" in the kernel but it still does not see
> the full 4GB RAM.

4.11 will soon be completely unsupported, besides putting 4.11 on a new server
is akin to putting a flathead-6 engine in a Ferrari. You should
upgrade/reinstall 6-pr and go from there. You will have far fewer problems.

Just my $.02

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at mangohealth.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Mangohealth
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - XanGo - http://www.mangohealth.org