[Fwd: if_iwi on FreeBSD 6.0 on a Thinkpad T43]

Nathan Lay nslay at comcast.net
Sat Apr 15 23:46:11 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,
I wrote, a couple months earlier, a problem with if_iwi on an IBM
Thinkpad T43 (2687-D3U).  The problem was actually the antenna.
I set dev.iwi.0.antenna to 1 to turn the antenna on.  Now despite the
wifi indicator remaining off, the card is still able to scan and
associate to access points (well, assuming you loaded the firmware :P).
As soon as the card associates, the indicator will then switch on.
To rid myself of the "unknown notification type 15," messages, I applied
this patch:
http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/forum/download.php?1,45/iwi-degraded.diff

Mentioned on Damien's forum here:
http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/forum/read.php?f=1&i=786&t=752#reply_786

So, while the driver seems unable to turn the card on, its actually some
quirk with the wifi indicator.  Just remember to turn the antenna on!

Best Regards,
Nathan Lay