kdm restart and back into root shell from KDE

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sat Apr 15 17:43:34 UTC 2006

--On April 15, 2006 12:58:02 PM +0200 Bram Kuijper <a.l.w.kuijper at rug.nl>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I got two KDE-related newby questions:
>
> 1. How do I restart a KDE session after I changed some config files? In
> Linux this is
>
> /etc/init.d/kdm restart
>
> But since there is no init.d on FreeBSD, I'm stuck.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace restarts X and kdm.  I haven't tried it, but I suppose
you could run /usr/local/bin/startkde and see what happens.  Or you could
issue a command like this kill -HUP `cat /var/run/kdm.pid`.

> 2. Is there any way I can shutdown KDE and get back to a root shell? If I
> choose 'log out' from KDE, I am still in the KDE environment and fixed to
> choose another user to login again.

If all you need is a root shell, Ctrl-Alt-F1->F7 will get you all the root
shells you'd ever need.

If you mean you want to kill the Xserver and not have it restart, kill
-TERM `ps -auxw | grep X11R6/bin/X | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`
should do the trick.

> If I choose 'shutdown KDE', it issues a shutdown command to shutdown my
> PC, and that's also not what I want. I just want to shutdown KDE and get
> back into a root shell. Think it's an easy thing to configure, but where?
>
> btw, I'm running KDE 3.5.1 on FreeBSD 6.0.

So am I.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas