DMA TIMEOUT

Anish Mistry mistry.7 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 13 22:57:16 UTC 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 18:01, Wil Hatfield wrote:
> > Do you have a backtrace?
>
> No. To be honest I have worked a little with the debugging but that
> was a long time ago. We ran 4.10 for eons and never needed to debug
> a thing. I got spoiled I guess. So now that I need to add debugging
> and backtrace to my arsenal of knowledge could someone point me in
> the direction of a howto? It would be good to catch up.
Add the following to your kernel config:
makeoptions     DEBUG=-g
options         DDB, KDB, GDB
options         INVARIANTS
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT
options         WITNESS_KDB
options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN
# Add this if you're using a firewire console
options         BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER,ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER
# Do an unattended dump and reboot
options		KDB_UNATTENDED

Then recompile your kernel.  The problem you're going to run into
since the problems you're having seem to be with the ATA code is that
there is a good chance you're not going to be able to dump the crash
dump to disk.  I'd highly recommend using a serial or firewire
console.
To setup a serial console just add the following to
your /boot/loader.conf or set it at the loader prompt.
console="comconsole"
-- Firewire --
For a firewire console you'll need to load the following modules
assuming they aren't in your kernel.
dcons_load="YES"
dcons_crom_load="YES"
You may need to do a fwcontrol -r on both systems to make sure
everything is in sync.
Once loaded on your client machine, just do a fwcontrol to get the
address of the other system.  Then to connect to the server just:
dconschat -t 00-00-0e-10-00-b0-29-d0
Where 00-00-0e-10-00-b0-29-d0 is the firewire address of the server.

--
Anish Mistry