Gamin and fam conflict...

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Thu Apr 13 21:35:32 UTC 2006

On 13 Apr David Kelly wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 06:42:56PM +0200, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> >
> > I don't see any reactions on this warning from you.
> > You are absolutely right though.
> >
> > gamin != fam
> >
> > gamin is only partly compatible!
> > Courier i.e. only runs with fam (and not with gamin)
>
> For my single-user personal use I quit using courier-imap as I was tired
> of logs filling with it complaining about fam not being installed or
> configured correctly. Asked here, searched everywhere, and never got the
> issue resolved.
>
> Haven't tried lately. Based on my experience one could put up a good
> argument that courier-imap doesn't even work with fam. You mean to say
> its worse with gamin?

No, I said that courier works perfectly and *only* with fam.
No problem whatsoever with it. You just need to set the right rule in
inetd.conf for fam. Otherwise you get these log warnings ;-) You could
also compile courier *without* fam support.

The inetd.conf rule for fam:

# FAM: File Alteration Monitor [devel/fam]
sgi_fam/1-2	stream rpc/tcp wait root /usr/local/bin/fam	fam

Not that difficult imho.

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 6.0 +++ The Power to Serve