FIXED, APPARENTLY k3b incorrectly identifies scsi r/w drive as read-only

Tue Apr 11 23:52:15 UTC 2006

I corresponded with Sebastian Trueg, the developer, who had a look, then let
me know that the problem had been identified and that he's fixed it. The
latest version of k3b (0.12.15) uses "SG IO for scsi commands with newer
linux kernels. This should fix problems with scsi device detection." I'll
have to wait for the port to see if it works in my case.

This is part of the beauty of open source stuff. I've sent him some Lucky Luke
off his Amazon wishlist in gratitude.

Oliver

On Saturday 25 March 2006 13:38, Oliver Iberien wrote:
> On Saturday 25 March 2006 11:46, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> >
> > Please forgive me for stepping in, but I'm having the same problem,
> > asked sometime ago and did not get any answer.
> >
> > My Yamaha burner is still detected as a read-only device.
> >
> >   bye & Thanks
> >         av.
>
> There is a thread here:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-ports/2005-March/021958.html
>
> of someone with a scsi cd-r/w that was giving the same errors. The thread
> goes on to post some kind of fix to a flac decoder:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-ports/2005-March/021969.html
>
> ...but I don't understand how this is related or how it is to be
> implemented.
>
> I have found a number of postings of similar problems with k3b and scsi
> drives dating from after mid-2004, which is when it started happening to
> me, but none gives a fix.

> http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:wOJpu0m4BcwJ:k3b.plainblack.com/feedbac
>k%3Ffunc%3Dview%26wid%3D29%26forumId%3D1000%26forumOp%3DviewThread%26forumPo
>stId%3D100898+k3b+%22mode+sense%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8
> http://www.linuxhardware.de/deutsch/dcoulh/news_38206.html
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-support/2004-June/050551.html
> http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Dh1vQLiRy40J:bbs.cse.yzu.edu.tw/show.ph
>p%3Ftype%3Dpost%26board%3Dbsd-ports%26pageno%3D15+k3b+%22mode+sense%22&hl=en
>&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=6&ie=UTF-8
> http://lurker.oltrelinux.com/message/20040211.213612.0308c619.en.html
>
> Oliver
>
> > k3b on FreeBSD 6.0 incorrectly identifies my SCSI CD-R/W as read-only. It
> > reports "mode sense" failure, which, Plextor tells me, can be a sign of a
> > problem with the drive or the media. I've appended this part of the
> > output at the bottom.

[snip]