upcoming release 6.1: old version of some core components

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Apr 11 15:58:59 UTC 2006

In the last episode (Apr 11), No at SPAM@mgEDV.net said:
> > I can't answer you main question, but I would say that you can bet your
> >shirt on the fact that there will be no known security issues in the
> > older packages.
>
> > At least for openssl and openssh you can get latest versions through the
> > ports.  Not an option for everything -- I see no zlib for example and I
> > don't believe there's a standard cvs port either.
>
> as for zlib i definitely know, that there are 2 security flaws, which
> can lead to problems when invalid compressed data is feeded.

You sure about that?  Patches for both FreeBSD-SA-05:16.zlib and
FreeBSD-SA-05:18.zlib were applied to 5.* and 6.* branches as soon as
they were announced.  Just because it says "1.2.2" doesn't mean "all
files are unmodified from the released version".  I'd expect the same
goes for openssh and openssl.  Upgrading zlib on a stable branch is
probably fine, but I'd expect that newer openssh/openssl's will have
ABI or config file changes that would make upgrading them a pain.  Much
easier to import new versions to HEAD and back-port only the security
fixes.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com