[freebsd-questions] ndis setup

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Tue Apr 11 10:38:19 UTC 2006

hernan <hernan.silberman at gmail.com> wrote:

[Quoting adjusted, please don't top post.]

> On 4/9/06, Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de> wrote:
> > hernan <hernan.silberman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey folks.  I'm setting up FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE and I'm having a
> > > little trouble getting my wireless NIC recognized.  The card is a
> > > Linksys WMP64G and I'm trying to set things up to run with the
> > > FreeBSD NDISulator as described in the FreeBSD handbook
> > > (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html).
> >
> > This chapter is outdated.
> >
> > > Here's what I'm doing (as root):
> > >
> > > 1) Verifying with 'pciconf -lv' that the PCI card is there.
> > > Also, I know the card works, it was running fine on Windows.
> > >
> > > 2) Building ndis itself:
> >
> > > 3) Building the if_ndis module:

> > >   kldload ndis
> > >   I verify at this point using kldstat that both ndis and if_ndis
> > > are in fact loaded.
> > >
> > > I see nothing in dmesg or in my console during the kldload.
> > > Also, it doesn't appear that the driver found the card, there's
> > > no signs of life.  I've tried using ndisgen, and have had the
> > > same results (with much less typing).  In either case, I get
> > > nothing in dmesg and no usable enabled NIC.
> >
> > After you run ndisgen you should have a third kernel module with
> > a name similar to the name of your sys file. If you load
> > this module you should at least get an error message.

> Thanks Fabian, that helped me move forward.  My next question is how
> to interpret the segfault I get when loading the new kernel module I
> created with ndisgen.  The error happens when I do the 'kldload' on
> the new module, my machine dies and reboots.
>
> Does this mean I'm out of luck with using NDIsulator?  Let me know if
> you have any hints.

My hint is to post slightly more information.

While I probably won't be able to help any further, there a lot of
knowledgeable people on this list who could help if they had a better
description of your problem.

You could start with:

- the relevant output of pciconf -lv
- which .inf and .sys file you used
- an exact description what you did to get to the reboot
- why you are sure it was caused by a segfault

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/