/etc/resolv.conf with 3 nameservers

guru at Sisis.de guru at Sisis.de
Mon Apr 10 15:49:31 UTC 2006

El día Monday, April 10, 2006 a las 04:07:34PM +0100, Alex Zbyslaw escribió:

> guru at Sisis.de wrote:
>
> >El día Monday, April 10, 2006 a las 10:44:52AM -0400, Ken Stevenson
> >escribió:
> >

> >>I think the problem is that once your first server responds with a
> >>"domain not found", that's considered an answer to your query. It
> >>doesn't try another DNS server just to see if it gets a different
> >>answer. If you were to disable the DNS server on 10.0.1.201, then it
> >>would use xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy to resolve the query.
> >>

> >Yes, you're right. It is said in (...) that the fall down only works
> >on timeout. I did not read carefully enough, stupid as I am. :-(
> >

> There's nothing to stop you configuring that local nameserver to use
> your two "backups" for names that it cannot resolve.
>
> You could then leave the two backups in /etc/resolv.conf but if your
> local nameserver is authoritative for your local domain, then you
> probably want to know if it goes away, and those backups won't be able
> to look up names in your local domain.
>
> I'm making some assumptions about why you set things up this way in the
> first place, and I may be wrong, but there's too little info in your
> post to give definitive suggestions.

The anderlying problem is that we are three companies, now connected
through VPN tunnels. Each company runs it's own DNS server internaly and
without publicating all its names to Internet. The three DNS are
10.0.1.201 (mine one), xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy.

Any idea? Yes, in the future we will unify the whole zone, but this is
not a short term option...

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz / Sisis Informationssysteme GmbH
ein Tochterunternehmen der OCLC PICA B.V. Leiden (NL)