newbie question on upgrading GCC

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Mon Apr 10 15:35:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 11:01:21AM -0400, Jim Stapleton wrote:
> how do I setup make.conf to automatically use the new compiler?

Don't.  But if you insist on doing that you could try putting

CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc40
CXX=/usr/local/bin/g++40

into /etc/make.conf.  Just be aware that it will probably not work very
well.

> Is there any way to set this new compiler as the default (such as
> building the OS), without causing issues?

Not without causing issues, no.

> Or would that be just a
> royal pain in the posterior that is not worth the effort?

That does sound like a fairly accurate description.

When it comes to changing the default compiler a good rule of thumb is
that if you need to ask how to do it, then you should not do it.