Panic booting from 6.1-BETA4-amd64-disc1

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Fri Apr 7 08:17:53 UTC 2006

Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> i wanted to try out 64 bit support on my ASUS A8V Deluxe with
> AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
>
> I downloaded 6.1-BETA4-amd64-disc1.iso from the FreeBSD ftp site, burned
> a disc an booted from it.
>
> However, it failed:
>

> Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
>
> panic: sym: VTOBUS FAILED
>
> Booting with ACPI disabled or safe mode did not help.
>
> Googling and searching the ML did not show any hints.
>
> Any ideas?

It may be due to this:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=amd64/89550

I tried to install a SCSI card that uses the sym driver on my amd64
machine last week and it had a panic with the same message. It works
fine in an i386 machine but I am unable to use it on my amd64 box.
Someone sent me the card for free and I already have an Adaptec on order
to use with the amd64, but from what I understand that driver doesn't
work with amd64 yet.

If possible, try removing the SCSI card and then trying to boot. It
should work then.

-Mark

--
GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc

Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com
Rock 101.9 The Edge (Rock) - http://www.rock1019.net

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)