SCO OPENSERVER

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu Apr 6 20:39:46 UTC 2006

In the last episode (Apr 06), American Eye Center said:
> I just had a really quick question, the company I work for uses a
> software that runs on SCO Openserver 5, or later, I have read that
> Freebsd is compatible with software written for SCO OpenServer, I
> just wanted some specs as to how compatible you are, the software
> vendor is being shitty and won't say if there software will run on
> freebsd, they want us to get sco openserver(i wonder why), freebsd is
> far superior, and not to mention CHEAPER.  Thanks

FreeBSD's ibcs emulator was actually compatible with SCO 3.2v4.2, not
OSR 5, and has since bit-rotted due to other kernel changes such that
it no longer works.  Since there is less than one request a year about
SCO emulation, it's unlikely to get enough developer attention to ever
get better :)  I'm surprised there is any software only available for
SCO anymore.  If you can get your hands on a Linux binary, FreeBSD will
run that just fine.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com