Help?

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Apr 6 14:52:19 UTC 2006

Bill Moran wrote:

> Don't use FreeBSD.  I know this will be an unpopular post on this list, but
> you've said a number of things that tell me that you will be unsuccessful
> with FreeBSD:
> 1) You don't seem to have any Unix experience
> 2) You're coming from a Windows world
> 3) You don't have time or patience
>
> #3 is particularly important, given #1 and #2.  FreeBSD _will_ take you
> some time to understand.  It _will_ take some time and effort to get it
> working the way you want.  Since you are totally new to it, it _will_
> require patience.

I'm going to second that.  The biggest "shock" of moving to Unix is when
you realize there isn't any GUI until you set one up.  (That's not so
true on many of the Linuxes anymore.)  If you're serious about moving to
Unix but you don't have the patience and time to learn, download Knoppix
and use it for a while.  Once you're more familiar with how things work,
then you can dive in to the details.

In the Windows world you're used to things like Flash and Java and Media
Player "just working" in your browser, printing "just working", etc.,
etc..  Not true in FreeBSD.  Even the GUI itself doesn't "just work".
You have to be able to troubleshoot and determine the causes of
problems, and sometimes that can take a  while

If you have the patience and the time, then by all means, jump right in,
but don't expect to be surfing the web on your first day.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer