Which BSD - Flash Drive

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Apr 6 14:25:23 UTC 2006

orange_4444 wrote:
> I would like to run a BSD distribution off a 1GB USB Flash drive...
> What would be the most suitable - something like FreeSBIE?

That's possible.  You do understand that flash drives only have very limited
# of write cycles before they fail, and should be operated in read-only mode
most of the time?

If you're planning to use this for a dedicated appliance-type role, ie,
router, firewall, this is fine.  If you want to do development or
general-purpose interactive use, USB flash drives aren't a good choice.

--
-Chuck