ipfw and ssh

Ean Kingston ean at istop.com
Thu Apr 6 02:05:20 UTC 2006

You neglected to include the 'add' in your first fwcmd.

You may want to try something simple to start with. I haven't used ipfw in a
while so hopefully my syntax is still good. Here is a simple starting point:

# Allow person SSH access
mip="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"	# IP Address of person
${fwcmd} add allow tcp from ${mip} to me 22 in	# allow connection to ssh
${fwcmd} add allow tcp from me 22 to ${mip} out	# allow me to respond

I think all you really need is this:

# Allow setup of incoming ssh
${fwcmd} add pass tcp from ${mip} to ${ip} 22 setup

Since the rest of it should be taken care of by the rest of the 'client' ipfw
setup.

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 21:50, Anthony M.Agelastos wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Allow me to preface my problem by saying that I am very ignorant when
> it comes to networking. I do apologize if this is trivial. In any
> event, I enabled the "client" ifpw firewall located in /etc/
> rc.firewall. This appears to work well for my needs... except for one
> additional item. I need someone outside of my network to have SSH
> access to my machine. I know his/her IP address. So, I have added
> some additional items to rc.firewall for this. Here is what I added.
>
>          # Allow person SSH access
>          mip="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
>          ${fwcmd} allow tcp from any to any 22 out setup keep-state
>          ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from ${mip} to me 22 setup limit src-
> addr 2
>
> I have tried many, many differing variations of this from items I
> have found online. I cannot get any of them to work. My network setup
> is as follows
>
> internet -> cable modem -> netgear router -> freebsd 6.1-prerelease
>
> This user can SSH into my machine when I set the firewall to "open".
> Any ideas?

Ean Kingston, BSc, CISSP, ARO