Free BSD Upgrade Problem

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Apr 5 15:03:38 UTC 2006

On 2006-03-29 15:34, dharam paul <exiaf_radar_guy38 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Hallo all!
> I am very new to FreeBSD.
> I installed freebsd 5.4
> I upgraded to source of RELENG_6_0 while I fetched in
> the ports of current release by use of '*default tag=.
>
> I followed following steps after downloading above
> with CVSUP: (Please pardon me , I am from windows
> background for my language
> I backed up my kernel,
>
> #cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> #cp GENERIC GENERIC1.BAK
>
> next
>
> #cd /usr/ports
> #make installworld
> #make buildworld
> #make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
> #make install kernel KERNCONF=GENERIC

I'm sure these are not the commands you used.  There is no
'installworld' target in /usr/ports.

It is _wrong_ to run `make installworld' _before_ you have completed the
normal sequence of build & install.

There is no `install kernel' target in /usr/ports.

[snip stuff about mergemaster, mixed with etc/master.passwd problems]

If you ask me, I think you have probably screwed things up a bit :(

Restore from a backup and start over, this time following the
instructions of `/usr/src/UPDATING', *VERY* carefully.