terrible performance in 6.1beta4

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Mon Apr 3 13:36:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:18:02 +0200
usleepless at gmail.com wrote:

> Beto,
>
> i believe he has given up.

:( without knowing WHAT is the problem?

> i would say that on a dedicated database machine 50-75%
> dedicated(shared) memory is not overkill.

of course not. I am not sure I read his vmstat screenshot right, but it
seemed to me that the box was using a lot of disk, but had lots of
free memory - i.e., it was probably just reading the data and the
disks maxed out?  Miguel, what does gstat show ? (it'll show the % busy
of each device in GEOM , which also includes non-RAID devices, so it's
quite useful)

> wasn't there some other switch which determined wether to page
> shared-memory out?

i dont actually recall - my DB project had to be put on hold about 75%
ready for prod, trying to get back onto it soon.