jdk15 on 6.0

james g. james at veldt.com
Sun Apr 2 18:36:41 UTC 2006

On Apr 2, 2006, at 11:41 AM, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:

> On 4/2/06, james g. <james at veldt.com> wrote:
>> FreeBSD Land:
>>
>> I've seen this question asked on this very list, and once or twice on
>> the web, but have yet to find a solution.
>>
>> I'm attempting to compile jdk15 on an older machine, and at first
>> attempted it on a 4.11 install. The failures there encouraged me to
>> finally upgrade the machine to 6.0.
>>
>> So now, I have a fully patched, fresh 6.0 installation. The machine
>> has 128MB physical ram, and I doubled the default swap space. When I
>> continued to run into memory errors while attempting to compile the
>> jdk, I added an additional swap file of 512MB. Even with all this
>> additional swap space, I'm getting the following compilation error
>> every time:
>>
>> `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/build/bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp/
>> bsd_i486_compiler2/jvmg'
>> gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/
>> build/bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp/bsd_i486_compiler2/jvmg'
>> Compiling ../generated/adfiles/ad_i486.cpp
>> virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory
>> gmake[3]: *** [ad_i486.o] Error 1
>> gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/
>> build/
>> bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp/bsd_i486_compiler2/jvmg'
>> gmake[2]: *** [the_vm] Error 2
>> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/
>> build/
>> bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp/bsd_i486_compiler2/jvmg'
>> gmake[1]: *** [jvmg] Error 2
>> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/
>> build/
>> bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp'
>> gmake: *** [jvmg] Error 2
>> *** Error code 2
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk15.
>>

>> Does jdk15 really require more swapspace? I don't making the
>> additional swap file larger, but pushing 1GB of swap already is
>> leading me to believe there is another cause.
>>
>> Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'd really like to get jdk15
>> installed and running on this specific machine, despite it's age.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> James
>>

> AFAICT yes, it is possible that 1Gb (try 2Gb to be sure) swap
> will solve it. I can start trying to imagine how long it would take
> to compile jdk15, though. And even if you do succeed, an
> average java application can take about 100Mb of RAM
> right from the start. So you should really choose between a
> newer box and a sensible programming language.

Thanks for the tip. I upped the additional swapfile size to 2GB and
tried again, with the same results.

Granted I understand that expecting so much from this little machine
is really pushing it, it will eventually just be running a small java-
based server, that unfortunately requires jdk15. I wouldn't ever
choose it on purpose.

With a total swap size of roughly 2.5GB still generating failures, is
this a lost cause, or should I be looking for additional solutions?

Cheers,
James