Linux migration

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sun Apr 2 17:41:57 UTC 2006

Norberto Meijome wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:47:54 +0000
>Wayne <wayne at nightsol.net> wrote:
>

>>Also another thing that I was thinking about since my original mail,
>>things like chkconfig and commands like say 'service network
>>restart'. Does such a thing like a "redhat layer" type project exist
>>so that emgineers who must convert to freebsd have as much of the day
>>to day commands available to them while retraining?
>>

>RHE has its ways, fbsd has others. it's not that hard to carry over
>really...you can make an simple  cheatsheet for your engineeres.

Or, see below.

>IMHO, it's quite simple in Freebsd:
> - if service is part of the base os, script is located in /etc/rc.d
> - if service is something you have installed, it's located
>in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>
>Likewise, configuration for base services go in /etc, configuration for
>ports goes in /usr/local/etc/
>
>( If you can't tell what is part of the base OS or what is added...you
>may have other issues at hand :) )
>
>Since you don't have the SysV style scripts in BSD, what gets run
>(base-system or added-from-ports) is defined in /etc/rc.conf (default
>options for base services are in /etc/defaults/rc.conf . options for
>services from ports are usually in the port documentation or the
>startup script)
>
>Regardless of this, scripts in either /etc/rc.d or /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
>take the same params as RHE : start, stop, restart, status (+ custom
>ones in some services/ports).
>
>so 'service network restart' = /etc/rc.d/netif restart

Very good --- and, to ease transition:

echo "alias 'service network restart'     echo 'Did you mean
/etc/rc.d/netif restart?' " >> ~/.cshrc

Of course, two issues: shell globbing and the fact that they'll be expecting
bash.  Probably the former is of more consequence, as neither sh/bash
nor csh/tcsh seem to want to accept spaces in commands.  Bash is available
in ports, so using it for wheel level accounts should be fine; the OP should
be cautioned about replacing root's shell, though (Bad Idea(tm), AFAIK).

Nonetheless, it might be a good idea to hack together some kind of
reminder script for some of the RH commands; note, as a somewhat
related example, how many FTPD's accept both "ls" and "dir" .... You
could (and I have, before) alias "RHcommand"  "FBSDequivalent", but
that ends up not teaching anybody anything, and adds a layer of murk
between the user and the OS; a layer that is not needed and detrimental
for the most part.

Shouldn't take any major corporate effort, and could be quite helpful.

My $0.02,

Kevin Kinsey

--
My favorite sandwich is peanut butter, baloney, cheddar cheese, lettuce
and mayonnaise on toasted bread with catsup on the side.