Hard Disk problems

Shane Ambler Shane at 007Marketing.com
Sun Apr 2 17:07:43 UTC 2006

On 3/4/06 2:49 AM, "Gayn Winters" <gayn.winters at bristolsystems.com> wrote:

> [...]

Snip

>> ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
>> error=1<ILLEGAL_LENGTH>
>> LBA=139102393
>>

>> --
>>
>> Shane Ambler
>
> Looks to me like your disk subsystem is dying.  Most likely it is just
> the disk ad0.  If you don't have a good backup, do that immediately.
> Get a new disk in there and test it thoroughly (with the manufacturer's
> diagnostics.)  If all is well, restore to it.  You'll probably want to
> reread the section in the Handbook on Moving to a Larger Disk, since
> this is a good time to rethink the sizes of your partitions.
>
> Incidentally, you can just install the new disk (as ad1), install FBSD
> on it, and dump|restore from ad0 to ad1.
>
> Once restored, you'll still have to clean up the damage.  This is easier
> if your new new disk has a separate partition for user data, since you
> can use a fresh install of the OS, the ports, etc. and worry about
> repairing the user data as best you can.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -gayn
>
> Bristol Systems Inc.
> 714/532-6776
> www.bristolsystems.com

Thanks.

I was kinda thinking that might be the case. Space isn't an issue (it's a
120GB drive) this is mostly a testing/learning server at home - runs squid
and dns cache for home use (my other half does a lot of auto-surfing to try
and make a few bucks) and apache/mysql for testing web devel.

The files that showed up as i/o errors are all in /usr/ports so no probs
there, I should be able to copy across what is readable to another drive
without any problems or real loss and worthwhile data there is easy to
replace.

I am fairly new to *nix and was looking to see if I could learn more
disaster recovery - thought there might be a chance that it was just bad
sectors that weren't getting mapped out automagicaly and I could learn to
fix it manually without reformatting. Now I know that if I see it happen
again I should just replace the disk as soon as I can.

--

Shane Ambler
Sales Department