jdk15 on 6.0

james g. james at veldt.com
Sun Apr 2 16:42:27 UTC 2006

FreeBSD Land:

I've seen this question asked on this very list, and once or twice on
the web, but have yet to find a solution.

I'm attempting to compile jdk15 on an older machine, and at first
attempted it on a 4.11 install. The failures there encouraged me to
finally upgrade the machine to 6.0.

So now, I have a fully patched, fresh 6.0 installation. The machine
has 128MB physical ram, and I doubled the default swap space. When I
continued to run into memory errors while attempting to compile the
jdk, I added an additional swap file of 512MB. Even with all this
additional swap space, I'm getting the following compilation error
every time:

`/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/build/bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp/
bsd_i486_compiler2/jvmg'
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/
build/bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp/bsd_i486_compiler2/jvmg'
Compiling ../generated/adfiles/ad_i486.cpp
virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory
gmake[3]: *** [ad_i486.o] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/build/
bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp/bsd_i486_compiler2/jvmg'
gmake[2]: *** [the_vm] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/build/
bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp/bsd_i486_compiler2/jvmg'
gmake[1]: *** [jvmg] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/build/
bsd-i586/hotspot-i586/tmp'
gmake: *** [jvmg] Error 2
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk15.

Does jdk15 really require more swapspace? I don't making the
additional swap file larger, but pushing 1GB of swap already is
leading me to believe there is another cause.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'd really like to get jdk15
installed and running on this specific machine, despite it's age.

Cheers,
James